As skin cancer rises at unprecedented rates, the field of dermatology is constantly researching novel, non-surgical technologies to assist with early detection and diagnosis. Reflectance Confocal Microscopy is the newest and most cutting-edge FDA approved, non-invasive techniques that uses high resolution imaging technology to generate a comprehensive view of the skin’s composition. Think Biopsy without cutting!
This no downtime, quick procedure generates multiple horizontal views of the various skin layers starting from cellular and subcellular structure all the way up to the upper dermal levels to construct a near histological resolution of the skin. As a result this in-vivo technique allows dermatologists to assess skin abnormalities in real-time without the need of biopsy and more invasive testing. Given confocal’s accuracy in imaging the skin, this procedure brings true innovation to the field of medical dermatology by avoiding thousands of unnecessary biopsies. Even dermatologists who use dermoscopy make their diagnostic results more accurate with a 99% predictive value when we do a biopsy without cutting!
How It Works
This quick 20 minute procedure is done in-office with no cutting or biopsies. A gentle microscope is placed on the skin that allows for a series of photos to be taken. The photos capture the various skin layers beginning from the surface down to the dermis. The images are then read by a dermatopathologist as well as the dermatologist to determine the skin’s condition. This procedure is covered by most insurances as billing codes exist and have been approved for the procedure by Medicare.
Benefits of Reflectance Confocal Microscopy
- Non-invasive, non-surgical technique that allows for skin assessment without unnecessary
- cutting in sensitive cosmetic areas.
- Generates high resolution imaging of the skin at nearly histological precision.
- Allows for early detection and diagnosis of melanoma and skin cancers.
- Allows a large area to be biopsied
- 20 minute in-office procedure with no pain or downtime
- Results in just a few days
- Covered by most insurances
Reflectance Confocal Microscopy is Ideal For Patients:
- Experiencing skin changes or abnormal growth
- With a history of skin cancer or melanoma
- Seeking a comprehensive and advanced skin exam